Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Do everything with Gusto

A few months ago Jessie Duplantis wrote an article about doing your best for God. It’s been ringing in my ear since then. We took our boys to Cub Scouts and that motto was quoted and instilled into them each meeting. A look at the requirements for an animal sacrificed to God in the Old Testament shows that God desires our very best. You see if a person had sheep and was going to make a sacrifice to God it couldn’t be one that was lame, blind, or defective. It had to be the best. Another words it shouldn’t be the one that the sheep farmer didn’t mind losing anyway because it wouldn’t help his profit margin. It had to be something that was the best of his breading stock. In my first real reads through the Bible the point went right over my head and I wondered why God would be prejudice against handicapped sheep. Praise God for His patience and revelation to us. Paul tells to do whatever we do with gusto for the Lord. Lately I’ve been praying for passion for my boys and the other church kids. I’m believing God to do a work beyond measure in their lives. Yet since I’ve prayed this prayer the Holy Spirit has begun to ask me “pesky questions” concerning my own passion to do things to the best of the ability He‘s given me. It’s not about being a perfectionist…in the sense of not enjoying life along the way. The questions the Holy Spirit has asked me is about whether or not I’m doing the things God has put in my care with the attitude of giving my best. My youngest is in 12th grade and is taking mid-terms this week. He desires to do his best. Today is Wednesday and for years we’ve had cell group meeting at my house. Recently we moved it somewhere else. Though my home would never grace a magazine for its decor the Holy Spirit prodded me…do the clean up you’d usually do for Wednesday group…give you best for your family and for me. He’s speaking to me about other things as well…do it with gusto.
What is one specific thing that you can improve upon by doing it whole heartedly? Care to read Jessie Duplantis article http://jdm.org/jdmdefault.aspx?tabindex=-1&tabid=62&articleBy=2008 “While on Earth Let’s give God our Best” I have it set to the magazine. Scroll to page four. Thoughts?

No comments: