Thursday, January 17, 2008

Impromptu Hug

Sunday nights before church begins I walk in and sit on the floor by the pulpit with our little granddaughter. Last Sunday something incredible happened. I sat down as usual … she came toward me as usual… and then she reached her little arms out to me asking for a hug. We embraced at her desire. I let her go and she scampered over to her Mother. She caught my eye and did an instant replay. Her daddy is our unofficially adopted son brought to us by God. His life is a testimony of what Jesus can do with a life yielded to Him. My heart was on cloud nine…with her first little act of purposeful affection telling me through her action that she loves me. Months of love, hugs, smiles, soft words, and fun times brought her to the conclusion that she is loved and that she wanted to show her love back…and now she knows how to do that. It reminds me of many of us. God shows us His great love toward us. He has mercy upon us, He speaks our name, He offers forgiveness despite our sin, His love is beyond measure and is an “unspeakable gift” My granddaughter made a move toward me in faith and trust; we can move toward God in our daily life and circumstances based upon the knowledge of His genuine love toward us. How pleased God must be when we reach out toward Him in loving embrace. He knows that for us to take the risk means that we are coming to Him in trust and faith. Days later I'm still in awe.

Romans 5:8-9 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. KJV

1 comment:

CalvaryGirl said...

What a precious moment (no pun intended) Ruth! You are right- how pleased God must be with us when we make the choice to move closer to him instead of staying in our comfort zone and him coming to us.